360

Fort Frederica National Monument - 360 Tour

In 1736, three years after the founding of Savannah, James Oglethorpe established Fort Frederica to protect his southern boundary. Colonists from England, Scotland and the Germanic states came to Frederica, and by the 1740s, Frederica was a thriving village of about 500 residents. Georgia's fate was decided in 1742 when Spanish and British forces clashed on St. Simons Island. Fort Frederica's troops defeated the Spanish in the Battle of Bloody Marsh, ensuring Georgia's future as a British colony. The declining military threat to the Georgia coast saw the fort's regiment disbanded in 1749. Today, the archeological remnants of Frederica, shown in this 360 tour, are protected by the National Park Service. Ranger-led tours and soldier/colonial life programs throughout the year recall life in Georgia’s second town.

Nearby sites include:

Christ Church, Frederica, St. Simons Island

Mildred Huie Museum at Mediterranean House, St. Simons Island

Bloody Marsh Battle Site, St. Simons Island