Talmo was settled around 1840 and was little more than a wilderness, with only a few houses. In 1866, the Rev. W.H. Bridges moved to the area and had the people build a log school house, which was used as a church named Mountain Creek. Talmo began to grow in the early 1900's when Gainesville Midland put a side track in the area. The community's people, at their expense and labor, built a depot, and the railroad made Talmo a regular stop. Talmo was incorporated on August 9, 1920. Talmo has a full time City Clerk and an active City Council. The new City Hall also houses the City Library. The former city hall was located in a general store dating back to the early years of Talmo's beginning. The building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Talmo's first bed and breakfast, Mt. Creek Manor, opened in 2011. The origin of Talmo's name is derived from the Creek Indian word Talomeco, which means "Home of the Chief Tallassee."
Visitor Information Center
45 AJ Irvin Rd.
Talmo, GA 30575
Official Visitor Information
Free Georgia Travel Guide
The state’s official Travel Guide is your complete resource to planning a vacation in Georgia. Find trip ideas, attractions, events, activities, accommodations, maps, travel resources and much more.
Phone: 1-800-VISIT GA (847-4842)