This two-story ruin is one of the oldest standing tabby structures in the state. The Horton House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Maj. William Horton constructed this home in 1743 after he was granted Jekyll Island by the trustees of the colony of Georgia. The site also includes the cemetery of the DuBignon family, which owned Jekyll from 1790-1886 and occupied the house as their home from 1790 until the mid-1800s. Preservation work on Horton House was made possible by a Save America's Treasures grant from the National Park Service, and it received an Excellence in Preservation award from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation.
Admission & Fees
Free Parking, Self-guided Tours
Open Year 'Round
Near Interstate Highway
Suitable for Ages