Jackson County Courthouse

Jefferson
NE Georgia Mountains

Jackson County Courthouse

Jackson County Courthouse

Downtown on U.S.Hwy 129
Jefferson, GA 30549

706-335-1896

The Jackson County Courthouse, constructed in 1879 with elements of the Neo-Classical style, is a focal point in the City of Jefferson, the county seat. The courthouse's clock tower was added in 1906 and interior renovations were completed in 1978.

 

The first county courthouse, a log and wooden frame building with an attached jail, was built on south side of the public square; a second, larger, two-story brick courthouse with a separate jailhouse was built in 1817. In 1880, a third was built on a hill north of the square.

 

This courthouse was the oldest continuously operating courthouse in the United States until 2004, when the new and current courthouse was constructed north of Jefferson.

Close

Jackson County Courthouse Photos