Classic South / Greensboro

Mercer Chapel

Penfield Road
Greensboro, GA 30642

706-453-7592


The congregation organized Penfield Baptist in 1839 after the destruction of Shiloh Baptist by a cyclone. Originally, it was a wooden building and stood to the right of the present church. It was formed with a few members from Shiloh and teachers and students of Mercer University. The Mercer Chapel, a brick and Doric columned style building, was built in 1846 and designed and completed by David Demarest, at a cost of $6,794. The classic interior has a balcony on three sides. The pews remain in the old style with a partition set down the middle to separate the males and females. The windows are forty-eight over forty-eight. In 1848, a memorial tablet was placed in Mercer Chapel in memory of jesse Mercer for whom the university was named for. The Christian Index, a Southern Baptist publication, was printed on the campus from 1840 until 1857, with Johnson Boswell as the founder. Mercer University gave the chapel to Penfield Baptist Church after 1871. During the 1970's, the congregation could no longer support the upkeep of the chapel, and it was returned to Mercer through the Georgia Baptist Convention and on to the Southern Baptist Convention. It recently has been completely restored back to its original condition, and it has been given back to the Penfield Baptist Church. It is now on the campus of the Penfield Christian Home.

Info & Amenities

  • Admission & Fees

    Admission $0.00

    Facility Amenities

    Self-guided Tours

    General Information

    Family-friendly

    Suitable for Ages

    All Ages