One of the four oldest courthouses in the State of Georgia. A two-story antebellum structure with columns and handmade bricks.
Built in 1859, in part, by slave labor from man-made bricks made from clay dug from the nearby Hudson River. Completed in 1863 in the Greek Revival style. The historic Banks County Courthouse was completed in 1863, reportedly paid for with $6,600 in Confederated currency.
The courthouse was in use by the county until 1987, when it was restored and now houses historic exhibits, the Chamber and a Welcome Center. It is on the National Register of Historical Places. Please call for an appointment.
Admission & Fees
Admission Fee Free
Bus / Motorcoach Parking on Site, Free Parking, Guided Tours / Guide Available, Maps & Brochures Available, Parking off Site, Public Restrooms, Self-guided Tours
Family-friendly, Free Admission , Handicapped Accessible (Limited) , Open Year 'Round
Near Interstate Highway
Suitable for Ages