This courthouse is relatively newer than other historic courthouses in northeast Georgia since Barrow County was not created until 1914. It is located in the hometown of the well respected and influential U.S. Senator, Richard B. Russell was designed by James Baldwin.
It was donstructed in 1920 and exhibits Neo-Classical sylistic elements and an octagonal domed clock tower with a lantern. Restoration of the courtroom, detailed by perservation architect Lane Greene, was completed in 1990.