Philomath was established around 1829, and quickly became noted for its beauty, hospitality and culture. By the 1830s, a large number of cotton plantations had been laid out in and around Philomath. Home of the Reid Academy, Philomath translates as 'love of learning.' Woodrow Wilson was a frequent vacationer and visitor to the town; his father was often a guest preacher at the Historic Philomath Presbyterian Church. Of note are the Great Buffalo Lick and the Bartram Trail Society Library located in the Robertson-Wright-Normandy House. Historic Walking Tour Brochure available at Chamber of Commerce.