Brooks County was formed in 1858 after the route of the proposed railroad from Savannah to Thomasville had been surveyed. The site for the county seat was decided upon, and the town was named "Quitman" after General John A. Quitman, a distinguished Mississipian governor and congressman. Quitman is a planned town. The area was surveyed and lots were sold within 90 days in 1859.
Quitman is significant for its wide variety of historic residential, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings. The Structures represent the changing American Architecture from the mid - 19th century through the early 20th century.