Roswell Presbyterian Church Historic Sanctuary
Roswell, GA 30075
The Roswell Presbyterian Church Historic Sanctuary was the first house of worship in Roswell. Built in 1840, it was used as a hospital for Union soldiers during the Civil War. Master craftsman Willis Ball of Windsor, Conn., built the Doric-columned church and homes of the original families. The church had box pews, raised pulpit, and galleries for slave members. The short, square bell tower of the Roswell church holds an iron ship bell cast in Philadelphia in 1827.
During the Civil War occupation of Roswell, the church was used as a hospital. Memorabilia of those days still remain. The door of an old cabinet, removed by Union soldiers who painted a checkerboard on it, can be seen in the History Room. Also, there is the original church Bible, with the words, "Run, John run, the Yanks will get you," scribbled on the frontispiece by a soldier.
Tours of the inside of the Historic Sanctuary must be pre-arranged.
Info & Amenities
Near Interstate Highway
Civil War Site
Suitable for Ages