Classic South / Warthen

Bethlehem Baptist Church

95 Bethlehem Church Rd.
Warthen, GA 31094

478-552-6200


Bethlehem Baptist Church (circa 1790) is the oldest baptist church, perhaps the oldest existing church of any denomination, in the county. Constituted Oct. 3, 1790. First located on Keg Creek, it was called "Church of Christ on Cag Creek." The meeting house moved later to a site at Williamson's Swamp Place and called Williamson Swap Meeting House. Relocating to Warthen in 1795 with the uniting of Paley Church and Cag Creek Church members, the church was named Bethlehem. The church was a wooden structure, which burned and was rebuilt on the present site in 1890. In 1868, a number of  the black members of the church requested to form a church of their own; some requesting to remain members of the church. The church is active today.

Info & Amenities

  • Hours of Operation

    Sunday: 8:00AM

    Admission & Fees

    Admission 0.00

    Facility Amenities

    Free Parking

    General Information

    Family-friendly

    Free Admission

    Open Year 'Round

    Suitable for Ages

    All Ages