The Cherokee County Historical Society was founded in 1975 as a nonprofit corporation to promote historic preservation and education. CCHS owns the "Rock Barn," built in 1906, and one of the few surviving rock barns in Georgia. Located at 658 Marietta Hwy. in Canton, the Rock Barn is open by appointment. CCHS also has its office and archives in the Historic Courthouse, located at 100 North St., Canton and will give tours of the restored County Jail and historic courtroom in the Courthouse by appointment.