The former Union Point school house was built in the early 1900's. It was used as an education facility for almost seventy years. Pre-World War II, the building was used as a school for children in the day and a technical school in the evenings. Some men took welding classes and went on to serve in the military and at the Charleston Shipyard building ships for war. The building was recently restored by the City of Union Point and received an award for Excellence in Rehabilitation from the Georgia Trust in 2006. The rear two rooms are devoted to the historical museum and houses relics from the Confederate Wayside Home as well as displays from the Georgia Railroad and the Chipman Union Hosiery Mill which operated over 100 years before closing in 2001. The sister building that housed the high school was torn down in the 1960's, and the smaller white building was used as a lunchroom and a home economics class. The school gym is on the corner of Witcher Street and Hart Avenue, and it was used as a sight location in Kenny Rogers's movie, The Gambler. The gym is presently used as a part of the Greene County Recreational Department. The museum is opened by appointment and on special event days.