The William Harris Homestead is an excellent example of the homes and plantations established in 1818. On the homestead, there is the log house, which was constructed around 1825. Built of oak timbers 6 inches by 8 inches, it followed the pattern of early Virginia architecture (Plantation Plain-type) and consisted of 1.5 stories, built high off the ground, using local fieldstones and hand-made bricks for the foundation, providing an ample cellar underneath. The outbuildings include a smokehouse made of fieldstones and homemade bricks, a corn crib, barn, wagon shed and shop. In the earliest days, a spring furnished water for the family. Open to the public the first and third Saturday of the month, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.