Historic High Country / Chatsworth

Old Spring Place Methodist Church

Elm St.
Chatsworth, GA 30705

706-278-0217


It began as an Indian mission in the early 1830s. During the Trail of Tears, the group at Spring Place became a regular congregation. The group first met near the old Moravian mission on present day Ellijay Street. In 1851, the congregation moved to Elm Street and built a brick structure. This building later burned, and a new wooden church was erected on the same foundation about 1875.

Many events such as homecomings, conferences, revivals and ladies' group meetings highlight the history of the church. The congregation began to decline when the county seat was moved to Chatsworth in 1913. Eventually, a new church was built in 1976. The Whitfield-Murray Historical Society saw the need to preserve and restore the old church.

It was rededicated in 1979 and now houses a museum of church, Spring Place, and Murray County memorabilia. The building is used for historical society meetings and may be rented by other groups for special events and social functions.

Info & Amenities

  • Admission & Fees

    Varied 0.00 -$5.00

    Facility Amenities

    Meeting Facilities, Parking on Site, Party Facilities

    General Information

    Family-friendly

    Group Amenities

    Group-friendly

    Suitable for Ages

    All Ages