Greenville, the county seat of Meriwether County, became a city on December 20, 1828. The city is named in honor of Revolutionary war hero General Nathaniel Greene.
The Meriwether County courthouse in Greenville was constructed around 1903 and burned in 1976. The first courthouse in Meriwether County was destroyed in 1893 by a cyclone.
This historic downtown is currently going through a resurgance with new businesses, restaurants, and art galleries occuping the historic downtown businesses.