Sandersville was established in 1796, and is the county seat of Washington County. The county is the 9th county formed in Georgia and is the first county in the nation to be named for George Washigton before his presidency. Our town has splendid examples of Victorian,Greek Revival , Antebellum, Plantation Plain and Craftsman influenced architecture which are tangible reminders of our gracious lifestyle. The people are friendly, warm and welcoming. The town is growing culturally with the addition of an art museum, and the growing number of local artists, new businesses and venues. Sandersville and Washington County has an active Historical Society. The county is known as The Kaolin Capital of the World for its vast deposit of kaolinite, and we celebrate a Kaolin Festival every year. We are the home of the official Georgia Plate. We are the only county in Georgia where Sherman and Jefferson Davis both "visited." We are on the Georgia Civil War Heritage Trail.
141 W. Haynes St.
Local: (478) 552-2525