Tyrone, Georgia is a residential community of approximately 7,000 residents located in Fayette County, about 25 miles south of Atlanta, Georgia. The land in the area originally belonged to the Creek Indians and was settled by Irish farmers in the late 1800s. Some of the homes built by those first settlers are still occupied by their descendants.
Tyrone was incorporated on August 18, 1911, and the town reportedly was named by the people who built the railroad here in 1907. The Scottish and Irish immigrants thought the topography reminded them of the area around County Tyrone in Ireland.