McDuffie County's roots go back to the 1768 settlement of Wrightsboro, the southernmost point of Quaker migration in North America. The families who would found Wrightsboro came from the North Carolina Yearly Meeting groups. A schism in the Meeting, possibly over slavery, caused a group of Friends to leave North Carolina and relocate to Georgia. Colonial Governor James Wright promised them 12,000 acres of land, on which they built homes, gristmills and a meetinghouse.
Wrightsboro survived as a village until the 1920s, but little remains physically of the settlement in modern McDuffie County. All that remains is the old Wrightsboro Church and cemetery, built circa 1810. By reservation only.