Hampton Train Depot
The Hampton Train Depot was completed around 1881. It is significant in architecture and believed to have been designed by Augustus Schwaab, a German immigrant noted for his work in Savannah, Georgia. The city of Hampton experienced a major economic and development boom in the 1880s because this was the only rail connection in Henry County. Cotton warehouses, a hotel, and many elegant homes were constructed as a result, and Hampton became a focal point for the cotton industry. Architecturally, the depot signifies the extravagance of this era in its all brick construction of the American bond pattern and ornate brick details, which differ significantly from other depots of the period.
|Suitable for Ages||