Built at the foot of one of the longest and deepest valleys in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Lake Rabun began filling in May of 1915 to form a reservoir of over 10 million gallons. It was the first of six power-producing lakes developed by the Georgia Railway and Power Company on the Tallulah and Tugalo rivers. As a Georgia Power Company facility, it now serves as a power source and a water supply for local communities, while providing recreational activities for all interested.
At 835-acres, Lake Rabun is just a short drive from historic Clayton, Ga. The lake has facilities for boating and fishing as well as camping and lodging. Nacoochee Park is just one of the recreation areas along Lake Rabun's 25 miles of shoreline. Located on the north end of the lake, Nacoochee Park is a great place to picnic or just relax.