Quitman West End Cemetery
Created in 1859 as historic Quitman's first cemetery, West End Cemetery is the final resting place of over 460 citizens of Brooks County, many of whom had significant roles in both county and national history.
Ironically, the best-known residents of the cemetery are the 17 nameless Confederate soldiers buried here. Often referred to as a Confederate graveyard, only 50 of the graves belong to soldiers and veterans of the War Between the States. A memorial service in their honor has taken place at the cemetery every year since 1869.
In 2014, a coalition of local organizations banded together to create the West End Cemetery Restoration Committee. The Committee is overseeing the restoration of both the grounds and the graves as a way of preserving Brooks County's history for future generations.
We invite you to stroll beneath the Spanish moss-draped oaks; to admire the wide variety of 19th and 20th century gravestones; and to soak up Brooks County's history.
|Near Interstate Highway||
|Suitable for Ages||