The Thomasville History Center operates the Lapham-Patterson House, a monument to the imagination, creative engineering and craftsmanship of the Victorian Era. Fishscale shingles, oriental-style porch decorations, long-leaf pine inlaid floors, and a remarkable double-flue chimney with a walk-through stairway and cantilevered balcony exemplify the quality and skill of its Victorian creators.
Because of its architectural significance, the Lapham-Patterson House was named a National Historic Landmark in 1975. Built between 1884-85 as a winter cottage for prosperous shoe merchant C.W. Lapham of Chicago, the residence was well-equipped with its own gas lighting system, hot and cold running water, indoor plumbing and modern closets. Like many other successful Northerners, Lapham came to the bustling resort town of Thomasville for its mild, pleasing climate and the supposed therapeutic value of the pine-scented air.
|Suitable for Ages||