Lumpkin, incorporated March 30, 1829, is the county seat for Stewart County. The city was named in honor of Wilson Lumpkin, a two-term governor of Georgia, U.S. Congressman and Senator. He was a leading advocate of state rights and "Indian Removal."
The courthouse in Stewart County was constructed in 1896 and burned in 1922. The courthouse was rebuilt in 1923 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Providence Canyon Conservation Park, located in Lumpkin is a collection of canyons and gullies. The largest of these is "Grandfather Canyon," which is a half mile long, 300 feet wide and 150 feet deep. The 1,061-acre park also has the largest natural collection of the rare "Plumleaf Azalea" in the world.
The town grew as a commercial center, served by stagecoach. Its merchants traded with the planters in the area. This was part of the Black Belt of Georgia, named for the fertile land that supported extensive cotton plantations in the 19th century
Lumpkin was the first small town in Georgia to complete a successful historic preservation project to encourage tourism, with the restoration of the Bedingfield Inn, built in 1836. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is important to the central square.
In the 1960s, a group of citizens created a living history complex known as Westville. They relocated 30 historic structures to create a grouping of western Georgia architecture as would be found in an 1850s working village. Some of the buildings were purchased from the collection of John Word West established in 1928 in Jonesboro, Georgia. The village is staffed by volunteers to give the sense of daily life.