Prince Hall Masonic Temple
The Prince Hall Masonic Temple, located in the Sweet Auburn Historic District, was the headquarters for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) during the 1960s and is a component of the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historical Park. In 1957, following the successful Montgomery bus boycott, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. invited 60 black ministers to Ebenezer Baptist Church to form an organization to support nonviolent direct action to eliminate segregation in public accommodations and secure voting rights. Dr. King was elected president of the organization, and a small office was established in the Prince Hall Masonic Temple. SCLC staff included Ella Baker, Andrew Young and Dorothy Cotton. Following Dr. King's assassination, Rev. Ralph David Abernathy led SCLC operations at this location.
For more information click: http://sweetauburn.us/princehall.htm