Jackson County Courthouse
The Jackson County Courthouse, constructed in 1879 with elements of the Neo-Classical style, is a focal point in the City of Jefferson, the county seat. The courthouse's clock tower was added in 1906 and interior renovations were completed in 1978.
The first county courthouse, a log and wooden frame building with an attached jail, was built on south side of the public square; a second, larger, two-story brick courthouse with a separate jailhouse was built in 1817. In 1880, a third was built on a hill north of the square.
This courthouse was the oldest continuously operating courthouse in the United States until 2004, when the new and current courthouse was constructed north of Jefferson.
The 1st floor of the courthouse is always open for any individual or group to tour.
|Suitable for Ages||