1904 Historic Coweta County Courthouse
Coweta County is proud to display the 1904 Neoclassical Revival architecture of our historic courthouse. The structure reflects the Italian influence of architect Andrea Palladro in its central crossing plan and English architect Christopher Wrenn in its symmetrical classicism. Traditionally, cornices and pediments of stone were used, but stamped and formed copper were used, as well.
The most interesting feature is the dome, reminiscent of the famed Gibbs Radcliff Library. Rising more than 100 feet above the court square, it features clocks on all four sides. The dome is covered with copper to match the cornice, pediment and railings.
The architect was James Golucke, the son of a German immigrant who settled in Georgia. The courtroom is used by the Probate Court during the week. The Coweta County CVB is also in the courthouse on the east side of the square.
|Near Interstate Highway||
|Suitable for Ages||