If you visit Macon in late March, you can celebrate their colorful arrival during the International Cherry Blossom Festival, scheduled for March 17-26, 2023.
Enjoy an extravagant display of springtime beauty and dozens of fun family activities, many taking place under a canopy of delicate pink blooms. Watch hot-air balloons, air shows, colorful parades and fireworks displays, or go on historic tours and amusement rides.
Concerts feature top recording artists from a variety of musical genres. Dining at the Cherry Blossom Festival's Food Truck Frenzy offers variety and adventure! While you’re in Macon, cruise around town on the Cherry Blossom Trail to see different neighborhoods showing off their cherry blossoms.
Additional Attractions in Macon
Take a 17,000-year journey in time to the days of natives who lived near the Ocmulgee River at the Ocmulgee Mounds National Historical Park. See the prehistoric temple mounds, a Civil War battleground and a British trading post.
Music lovers can pay homage to one of Southern Rock’s legendary groups at The Allman Brothers Band Museum at The Big House, where the band lived and played in the early 1970s.
Ocmulgee Mounds National Historical Park: 1207 Emery Highway, 478-752-8257
Allman Brothers Band Museum at The Big House: 2321 Vinveville Ave., 478-741-5551
Find more things to do in Macon
Where to Stay in Macon
Stay at the 1842 Inn, a Greek Revival mansion blending the amenities of a grand hotel with the ambience of a country inn.
353 College St., 478-741-1842, 800-336-1842
Find more places to stay in Macon
Tips from locals
- Pay attention to social media updates about the cherry blossoms to make sure you see some blooms. And take a tour of Macon to not only see the cherry trees (which are all over town), but the rest of the city’s sights.
- Get a copy of the festival’s schedule of events ahead of time to make the most of your time. It comes out in February.
- Book hotel reservations early, as rooms tend to go quickly.
- Ask about special deals at local businesses, as most merchants have promotions during the festival.
- Take advantage of the free shuttles to Central City Park, courtesy of the Macon-Bibb County Transit Authority, to get to the festival. You also can find free parking at one of the downtown garages or on the street during the weekend.