Cockspur Island Lighthouse
The Cockpur Lighthouse is located on an islet off Cockspur Island, at the South Channel of the Savannah River by Lazaretto Creek and is considered part of Fort Pulaski National Monument. The beacon appears to float at high tide, when water covers the islet it stands on. As a result of this flooding access to the lighthouse is most often by small boat or kayak. Crossing by land to the lighthouse is not advisable. The Cockspur Lighthouse is open to the public, but no official tours or accommodations are made. Built in 1854, the illuminated beacon survived the bombardment of Fort Pulaski, despite being directly in the line of fire. It was heavily damaged by an 1881 storm, which destroyed the keeper's residence, but kept shining until 1909 when it was finally extinguished due to the less frequent use of the south channel. In 2000 the upper portions of the lighthouse finished being restored. The Cockspur Lighthouse is one of the five surviving historic lighthouses in Georgia. Re-lit in March 2007, the beacon is best viewed from Fort Pulaski's Lighthouse Overlook Trail.
|Suitable for Ages||